Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Support your Local Farms & Peanut Sauciness

Good morning! I hope your week is off to a great start!! I have been feeling great this week, lots of work outs and some yoga this morning ~ makes me a happy girl.


Every since using my spiralizer for the first time I have been obsessed.... seriously trying to think up recipes that will let me make some veggie noodles!! I made a Thai Peanut Sauce and drizzled it over zucchini "noodles", carrots and sugar snap peas. Double yum!!!!


For the Peanut Sauce:

1/4 Cup Peanut butter
1/4 Cup Water
2 T Soy Sauce
2 T lime juice
2 cloves of garlic - minced
2 T apple cider vinegar

Averie has a similar recipe but I didn't want any of the sugar from the maple syrup so I improvised.

Heat all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium low heat.



I kept stirring with a fork when it was warming. Once it is smooth, remove from heat and drizzle over any food you shall desire.

I ate these veggies raw, however I think this would be fantastic as a stirfry. Over rice, pasta... the options are endless!

Cara did a post today on Eating Local and she did a fantastic job explaining the benefits and I couldn't agree more! I moved further away from the city of Milwaukee in October to a more quieter suburban area called Wind Lake. We have 3 lakes within a 5 mile radius - Wind Lake, Lake Denoon and Waubasee Lake. I pass farms everyday and love the scenery. I have been wanting to stop here for awhile.

Farm Fresh Eggs for $2.75

I finally did stop and I am so happy that I did. The people that own this farm are so friendly. The have chickens, 1 goose, a baby lamb and a mother lamb.



The lambs are not locked up in there they have access to the green pasture in the backround.
They are free to roam, free to eat whatever they want and they all looked so happy :) It made me SO very happy to know I can stop here and pick up eggs when I want and I know where they came from. Local, organic, free range, cage free.... happy chickens. I don't eat eggs very often but I am going to be making them soon to try these ones out!

Small update on my seedlings:

The green beans have gotten huge!!

Broccoli is doing great - just about everything has sprouted...
It is hard to see but that is a pepper seed sprouting!

Summer Squash hasn't sprouted (on far left).
From left to right:
Summer Squash, Cucumber, Zucchini Squash

Here is my first post on my garden: Garden Virgin

I woke up today with a really scratchy, itchy throat... hoping extra kale and spinach in my smoothie is going to help get rid of it!


What I am wearing on Wednesday:
Tank Top: from Macy's
Dress Pants: Express
Shoes: Jessica Simpson Peep Toe
Blazer: H&M
Not pictured: bracelet from Lia Sophia

Question:

1. Have you ever purchased farm fresh eggs directly from the farm? Do you notice a difference in taste?
I think the yolks are so much MORE yellow. Lots of color, which is always a good thing :)

Enjoy your Wednesday!!

Nichole


5 comments:

  1. I love going to my mom's friends house and aunts house to pick up fresh eggs in the summer! i love that they are all different colors and the animals are happy!

    you look gorgeous and i am so proud of your gardening skills! i cant wait for next week to see how much they have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara I really wouldn't call them "skills" but I guess I did read a book about Wisconsin gardening so I guess that should count as some skills... haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the spiralizer...DEF buying one before i move :) and than making the peanut sauce bc we all know i cant get enough peanut (butter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about the peanut sauce ever since I made it - so good! It will not disapoint! I am going to try it with rice vinegar tonight instead of the apple cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol you definitely have skills because look at those green bean plants!!

    ReplyDelete