Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Green Goddess

Hello to the Goddesses that read my blog :) I have been ranting about The Green Goddess soup for sometime now. I think this soup is such an amazing detox soup, and it tastes fantastic. I finally get to share the recipe with you! I am so excited! My cousin Haley over at The Soup Goddess created this recipe and when I visited her in Florida last April she gave me the recipe. It has been a staple in my kitchen ever since. I like to make at least once a month. I talk about it here, here and here. I honestly make this soup that much. I love it.


I hope you make it.


If you do please tell me! I would love to know what you think, I am sure Haley, The Soup Goddess would too!

Green Goddess Soup

From Haley at The Soup Goddess

3 Tbsp. ghee - (I normally use earth balance or olive oil and it is just as good)

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 large poblano pepper, diced

1– 1 ½ tsp. cumin

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. white pepper

24 c. chopped greens, such as kale, spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens, packed
(I used rainbow chard, kale and spinach this time) Normally I take 2 bunches of kale, 1-2 bunches of swiss chard or rainbow, and a huge tub of spinach.

4 c. chicken broth, or vegetable

½ c. loosely packed cilantro

½ large avocado, or 1 whole small

In a large stock pot, heat the ghee/olive oil (or Earth Balance to make this vegan) over medium-low heat and add the poblano peppers, and the garlic, heat until the poblano peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. 


While the peppers are cooking mix the cumin, salt, and white pepper, with about ¼ c. water.


Once the poblanos are soft add the spice mixture, and cook about 30 seconds.


Add the greens gradually, you will have to add them 8 c. at a time, stirring and letting them cook down to add more.

Cooking down...
Adding Kale...


I use this whole tub of spinach...


Once you have added the last 8 c. stir occasionally until greens are cooked down, I normally add the spinach last it takes the least amount of time to cook down.
Add the chicken/vegetable broth, it should just cover the greens and place heat on medium high.

                                    
 
Add the cilantro and cover, bringing to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer while covered and cook for about 20 minutes until greens are completely soft.


Remove from the heat and add the avocado. With an immersion blender, or working in batches with a standard blender, blend until smooth.  Adjust the seasonings if necessary, and return to simmer, 15 more minutes.
The avocado makes it almost like a cream soup...


So healthy and delicious!
I have my soup for the week!!!


We replaced a ceiling fan in the kitchen this week and I just loved the result.
Before:

During:
After:
Much impoved! No?

I visited my mother last weekend, her dog which is a rat terrier and chihuaha mix had puppes a couple weeks ago, they are the cutest little puppies!

My puppy is cute too but has a sassy side.... we are playing tug of war :)

He doesn't look so sweet right here... haha

Here are a couple pictures from the benefit for my friend from last weekend:

Natalie & I...

This is JoJo right before the band serenaded her :)

What I am wearing on Thursday:

Top: A Byer - Kohls
Skirt: Express
Shoes: Peeptoe slingbacks by Guess

Have a great Thursday!! :)

Nichole

4 comments:

  1. you look so fab! i wish i looked like that when i went to work - we are a relaxed advertising agency so im in a tank and jeans today with flats!!

    i need you to be my shopping buddy! i wonder if i added greek yogurt to this soup if it would make it creamier... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet greek yogurt would be great with this soup! It was originally reccomended to me with Queso Fresco.

    I am a shopaholic and I have a serious problem!!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this tonight, no question about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read about this soup and totally want to make it. Glad to get another good review since I have to admit it is a little scary due to all the green-ness. :)

    ReplyDelete