Friday, May 13, 2011

Garden Virgin

Happy Friday world! Hope you are planning a fun or relaxing weekend ahead. I am very busy this weekend with a benefit for my girlfriend, Jojo. She is 4 months pregnant and just 2 months ago her fiance was struck and killed by a drunk driver. We are having this benefit tomorrow at a bar she bartends at Sheperd's.
All the proceeds are going to her and the baby. I have never planned a benefit like this and it definately does take some planning. A group of girls including myself collected donations for items to be raffled, are cooking food for the event and will be donating our time during the event. I am bringing raw vegetables and a ranch pasta salad tomorrow. Lots of pasta and veggies in my house right now :) Hopefully I make enough. If you live in the area and would like to attend that event please let me know and I would be happy to give you the details.


I made this delicious Quinoa Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms the other day when I was in the mood for a healthy italian inspired dish.

It first the first time I got to use my spiralizer!!!

It took my a minute to get a hang of it but once I did - it was kind of fun ;)



If you want to make this you will need:

1 C Quinoa
1 jar tomato/spaghetti sauce
1 T Garlic minced
1/2 onion minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 C water
1 T Italian Seasoning
1/2 C mushrooms

In medium saucepan place Quinoa, garlic and onion and toast for about 5 minutes or so. Add in the water,  spaghetti sauce, mushroom, italian seasoning, and salt and pepper bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes, until water and tomato sauce is absorbed by quinoa. 

Spiralize your raw veggie for raw veggie pasta!


Toss Quinoa mixture on top of your "noodles" and serve.


I sprinkled mine with nutritional yeast and a little bit of vegan butter. I always loved butter on my spaghetti when I was little and thought it was just as good in this!

What I have been reading...
Learned some interesting info about composting - which I just started as well :)


I thought these greenhouses looked easy to use..

I planted ALOT on Monday, May 9th. I know I am a little behind but hopefully my plants do well... 




Add water and the pellets expand! Interesting.

Here is my set up.. 3 greenhouses and another 4 trays of seedlings.
Day 1 (May 9th)


May 12th (broocoli and basil)

More broccoli and 1 spinach I spy...


May 13th
Grow Plants Grow!!!!!
Wish me luck :) I will need it!!!



Nichole

3 comments:

  1. woohoo your plants look great! im still waiting on my spinach to pop up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Nichole that is so sad!! I hope the benefit goes well...

    I want a spiralizer! How much are they?? I would love to plant but with my move it's gonna have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased my spiralizer from Amazon.com it is about $30 here is the link...

    http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-48297-99-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305654756&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete